WELCOME!


Welcome to my blog. Thanks for dropping by. Hope you'll stay and enjoy reading about where I've been and what I've been doing!

I don't mean this to be a replacement for personal emails, but it gives me the chance to put up photos and my scrapbook layouts, so I don't block up your in-boxes, or have to send the same photos and stories to everyone separately!
Thanks, and welcome, to the followers of my blog. I'm very honoured that you enjoy it. Drop me some comments from time to time! It's good to hear what you think about the posts. Come back again soon.

Thanks also to Mary of Mary's Mixes for doing all the work on the blog's heading. You are great, Mary!



Wednesday 29 October 2008

Jean's pics, and some of my own

Let me introduce you to Bob Scratchit!

This is another of my sister's photos. He's a wild rabbit she saw in the graveyard at the old church in her town. Wild bunnies are not well-favoured by the folk who take flowers to put on the graves of their loved ones. They think "Food!" - the bunnies do, not the people - and chomp them to bits in no time - the flowers, not the people!










And this is another photo of her garden robin! The first one was in my blog "What now?" He's very tame and pecks around her feet while she's working in the garden. - Put out some dried mealworms for him, Jean. He'll love you forever and you may be able to coax him to your hand! Once he's picked up some that you've dropped for him, sit on your garden bench, and just hold your hand out with just a few mealworms on it, so he can see them, and stay still. Talk to him and gain his confidence! It may take a while but he may eventually use your hand as a springboard, grabbing a mealworm as he lands and takes off in one movement! My garden robin a few years ago became that tame and it was so lovely to be able to have that rapport with a tiny bird! He would twitter away to me as if he was talking to me when he came hopping round my feet - and I didn't even need to be digging the garden!

We've had some really stormy days and nights recently, high winds, rain - came down like stair rods. so it did! On Sunday morning just as it was getting light and just before I headed off to my one early shift at work, I took a photo of the river Tweed, outside my window. The water was so high it had flooded its banks and was washing around the feet of an iron bench normally 10-15 feet from the water's edge. It's not a good picture - too much reflection from behind me - but you get the idea! I was going to say... you get the picture?


The next photo, later in the afternoon, shows the river having gone back in again, leaving a line of debris on the grass to mark its high water level. You can see on the other side of the river how far back from the banks those trees are! It seldom gets much worse than that. In 20 years the floodwater has only twice come right over the Green! The first time I saw it that high, one of the neighbours had his canoe out and was paddling it down past his house, where the road was submerged! The last time, I actually didn't see it, as it happened overnight, but my downstairs neighbour assured me the water came right over the Green and across the road, just stopping at the edge of the pavement outside our building! It was still pretty high in the morning though and only the top of that bench was visible! The whole area looked like a lake (loch, to us!).
It has calmed down now though and the last few early mornings have been frosty - not that I was awake that early to see them - and the days have been sunny and dry, though today it is dull but dry! So much for the old saying Red sky at night, Shepherd's delight! It's supposed to herald a good day to come! Not here, it doesn't! There was a lovely sky last night.
I went to the hospital for the x-ray yesterday afternoon, and will get the results in a week! It's probably a touch of arthritis! Don't order my zimmer frame just yet though! Afterwards Linda and I went to Tesco's and I bought a new flat screen TV, all ready for when we have to go digital in a couple of weeks time! My old telly doesn't owe me anything! It was one I had when I was still doing B&B, and I got it second hand!! I'll need to get the aerial fixed though! It's been dislodged - by the wind? (or a TV aerial guy who did a job for my neighbour downstairs some time ago?) - so I haven't seen any TV since the spring! Haven't missed it! Been too busy blogging!
Talk again soon.

No comments: