WELCOME!


Welcome to my blog. Thanks for dropping by. Hope you'll stay and enjoy reading about where I've been and what I've been doing!

I don't mean this to be a replacement for personal emails, but it gives me the chance to put up photos and my scrapbook layouts, so I don't block up your in-boxes, or have to send the same photos and stories to everyone separately!
Thanks, and welcome, to the followers of my blog. I'm very honoured that you enjoy it. Drop me some comments from time to time! It's good to hear what you think about the posts. Come back again soon.

Thanks also to Mary of Mary's Mixes for doing all the work on the blog's heading. You are great, Mary!



Wednesday 11 June 2008

Onwards

Hello again

Well my computer has been playing silly beggars again, but at the moment seems to be doing quite well. I have managed to upload a few more photos to edit, so here we go! I left you at Arrowtown so now we head on up the steep climb - lots of hairpin bends - towards Cardrona, one of the big ski-ing areas in winter. How they get up that road in the snow.....!
That is the road below and I've just come round one of the hairpin bends onto the road above...
...but at least we arrive safely. Cardrona probably took its name from a little village - now a big overdeveloped "village" - near here, near Peebles. There's not much at the NZ Cardrona, and it is permitted to drive through it at 70 - not miles per hour but kilometres per hour, a lot slower.













We stop though to have look at Cardrona Hotel, a far cry from the new big one at our Cardrona. This is much nicer and sports a cosy bar and beer garden out the back. I know because I went in for a glass of orange squash! No alcohol! I'm driving!

On again to Wanaka beside the lake of the same name. These next few shots are all of the lake!
























I love the effect of shooting photos into the sun but there's always a pink "glow" on the pic!



Evening begins to fall as I continue towards Haast Pass and the west coast.



I don't get as far as the west coast before dark but I found this "Wilderness Resort" at Makarora and spent a very enjoyable overnight stay.






Next morning all is revealed!

The view in the morning between the cabbage trees outside my A-frame cabin.



It is certainly in a bit of a wilderness - in the middle of nowhere - but is a good centre for walking.







I don't walk that day, but get back in the car, my destination Fox Glacier.





through the Haast Pass














across bridges....




round ever meandering and twisty roads....







following the wide riverbed with the wee bit of river....


















to the sea!

Still a bit to go to Fox, but I got there before dark and had time to walk up and look at the Glacier.







Last time I was here. the road to the Glacier was washed out, so this is my first view of Fox.







Dishevelled and frizzy because of the weather, it's me, taken by some Chinese, returning the favour!















The sign warns of extreme danger and advises you not to cross the line!





It's so beautiful that you want to see it close up, but a zoomed-in photo is the best you can do!

This one is worth clicking for a larger view!

I drove on a few more winding miles to the village of Franz Josef to find a youth hostel, planning to stay a couple of nights to see if the weather improved and if I could get a flight over the glaciers. More next time.

Talk to you soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Enjoying the photos. Keep them coming!