WELCOME!


Welcome to my blog. Thanks for dropping by. Hope you'll stay and enjoy reading about where I've been and what I've been doing!

I don't mean this to be a replacement for personal emails, but it gives me the chance to put up photos and my scrapbook layouts, so I don't block up your in-boxes, or have to send the same photos and stories to everyone separately!
Thanks, and welcome, to the followers of my blog. I'm very honoured that you enjoy it. Drop me some comments from time to time! It's good to hear what you think about the posts. Come back again soon.

Thanks also to Mary of Mary's Mixes for doing all the work on the blog's heading. You are great, Mary!



Sunday 24 April 2011

Glassmount Walled Garden

A group of us from the U3A  gardening group went off to Fife last week to see two quite different walled gardens.  We left Peebles , three car-loads of us, around 10.00a.m, drove round the Edinburgh by-pass, and across the Forth road bridge, then following the coast we came to Kirkcaldy – oops, too far, according to the directions ,so we retraced our route and tried to follow instructions.  Well, we got quite lost and despite written directions we kept driving up and down the same road looking for the right turn-off till we finally found someone to ask.  We got there eventually, comforted that the others had had problems finding it too!  glassmount 000 Glassmount House really is in the back of beyond.   Apparently it was built by/for three, or was it five, spinster sisters in the 19th century.  Presumably they were somewhat reclusive!

glassmount 002

 

We were able to have a quick cup of tea in the rambling old rather tumbledown conservatory. before being directed to the walled garden which has been reclaimed by the current owners. It was my type of garden!  Formal and extremely tidy is not for me!  Gardens like that are certainly very beautiful, but I like a wilder look, and this garden was just that!  It had been allowed to get totally out of control until a few years ago when the current owner , Irene, took it on!  glassmount 015Now there are wandering   paths, steps, pergolas, summer houses, large pots, flowerbeds……glassmount010

 

 

 

 

glassmount 014

 glassmount 026

…..and the spring flowers were so pretty.glassmount 032

glassmount 003 glassmount 031glassmount 010 glassmount 018 

glassmount 024 glassmount 019 glassmount 041

glassmount 029

crown and glassmount 032

 

 

 

 

glassmount 034 I could show you all the pictures I took, but perhaps I’ll limit myself to just a few more.   We could have wandered the garden for hours, but knew we had to be at Wemyss Castle by 2.30 and fit in lunch beforehand.glassmount 045glassmount 047

 

 

 

 

glassmount 036 glassmount 037

 

 

 

 

In the end, lunch was a picnic we ate in the cars as we headed towards Wemyss!  No time for a proper one!! 

Part 2 next time!

Talk again soon.

No comments: