WELCOME!


Welcome to my blog. Thanks for dropping by. Hope you'll stay and enjoy reading about where I've been and what I've been doing!

I don't mean this to be a replacement for personal emails, but it gives me the chance to put up photos and my scrapbook layouts, so I don't block up your in-boxes, or have to send the same photos and stories to everyone separately!
Thanks, and welcome, to the followers of my blog. I'm very honoured that you enjoy it. Drop me some comments from time to time! It's good to hear what you think about the posts. Come back again soon.

Thanks also to Mary of Mary's Mixes for doing all the work on the blog's heading. You are great, Mary!



Saturday 20 November 2010

Anniversary

Last Saturday was the 30th Anniversary of the  Edinburgh Lace Club for which they held a lunch party - and to which I was invited as a past member.  The party took place in the church hall where the group usually hold their annual Lace Days, and was set out with tables and chairs, cafe-style, with a large buffet table across the width of the room, and several display and workshop tables around the edges.  On the walls, along with a few bunches of balloons – oh dear - were pictures of lace made by the members, moderatorgive and a small pictorial display of the making of the lace jabot to be worn by the Moderator of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland, which was a very early club project.  It was interesting that some of these members are still in the group almost 30 years on, and were at the party itself.   eh lace birthday cake In fact the lady in the light coloured dress, presenting the lace to the Moderator, though long retired as a member was invited to cut the celebratory birthday cake.  I think she was the founder of the club.jean at lunch

It was great to meet up with  lacemakers I haven’t seen for a long time, and join them for lunch.  Here’s my sister with her plateful of goodies from the buffet, jean making tiny teds and here she is again later, taking a very popular “workshop” on making pipe-cleaner teddies!

 

eh lace 30 jean's teds Here’s one she made during a demo!  I had a go,so here are my teds too!  eh lace 30 my teds

 

 

 

The yellowy one was my first – and I think best so far!   wee dog 001The white one has since been turned into a dog – without a tail!

margaret belford

There were several other activities on the go during the afternoon.  Margaret, on the right, demonstrated the technique of making “leaves”  continental style, margaret's petals and urged us all to go home and have a go at making some Christmas decorations using the technique!  Might make a pair of earrings for Christmas!  (Margaret is also in the Moderator’s Lace photo above, on the right)box making

Liz demonstrated how to make little gift boxes from old Christmas cards, something I used to do a lot of.  Here’s someone having a go!   lace remembrance poppy Then she took names of people who wanted to buy the pattern for a lace-made Remembrance poppy, – with permission from the Poppy people of course, and with proceeds going to them as well -  It’s eh lace ena learning to playvery beautiful.  I put my name down!

Lorena who had been quietly playing the clarsach during lunch, later gave Ena a lesson in harp playing.eh30 banner ….

….and the 30th anniversary commemorative banner was shown off.  I took a few pictures of  it and a few of the individual pieces, but they did not come out too well.  Here are a few that weren’t too bad…eh lace 30 jean

The lace is wonderful, it’s just the photos that are sub- standard.

eh lace rhoda

eh lace helen

eh lace betty

 

 

 

 

Coming away from the hall, I felt inspired to pay a first visit  to the reasonably new branch of Hobbycraft at a big retail park on the edge of the city.  Aladdin’s cave!!!  It is packed with items for arts and crafts ranging from model making to knitting, embroidery, cake decorating, painting and all sorts of other crafts!  Not the kind of place you can visit and not spend money!!!!  So, what with shopping there and later at IKEA on my way home, I came home with considerably less in my bank account than when I left home with in the morning!

Well, when it’s spent, it’s spent!

Talk again soon.

 

1 comment:

Mary said...

Great Post Evee... lots of interesting things ESPECIALLY that Lace Poppy... wouldn't that be a lovely thing to wear each year? Such talent!!!!!