WELCOME!


Welcome to my blog. Thanks for dropping by. Hope you'll stay and enjoy reading about where I've been and what I've been doing!

I don't mean this to be a replacement for personal emails, but it gives me the chance to put up photos and my scrapbook layouts, so I don't block up your in-boxes, or have to send the same photos and stories to everyone separately!
Thanks, and welcome, to the followers of my blog. I'm very honoured that you enjoy it. Drop me some comments from time to time! It's good to hear what you think about the posts. Come back again soon.

Thanks also to Mary of Mary's Mixes for doing all the work on the blog's heading. You are great, Mary!



Friday 25 January 2008



I wish the weather today was as nice as it is in this picture. It's cold, wet and windy, totally awful - and I've got to go out in it! Luckily it's not too far to the store, about 4 minutes walk! I'll probably get blown down the road with the wind.

This is the view from across the river to the beautiful tower of the Parish Church, and the road bridge over the River Tweed. Locally the river is referred to as Tweed, not THE Tweed, just Tweed! This time, my house is just off the photo on the right! Luckily the church clock doesn't chime between 9.45 p.m. and 7.00 a.m. but on Sunday mornings hymn tunes are played by the carillon player up in the tower. Now that is something rather interesting. Whereas some other carillons are played on a keyboard, our one is played by a set of wooden levers, each attached by a metal rod to a bell. Depressing the levers pulls the rods and moves the bells so they sound their notes.
The next layout shows the little wooden "organ" and the levers, situated in a small room behind the clockfaces, but sadly, not the bells! They are on a higher level, probably behind the triple windows that aren't really windows at all but louvred on a grand scale!
Every September during the Peebles Arts Festival they have an afternoon when the carillon room is open to visitors, and in 2007 Celeste and Tina were here, so up we went for a look! We were all allowed to try a tune, and the blue sleeved arm in the photo is Celeste doing her bit! She did really well too; said she'd love to be the carillon player if she lived here - but Sydney, Australia, is a bit too far away.
I have a layout of Celeste and Tina in the Meldon Hills with the heather at its best! It was spectacular. I think I'll leave that till tomorrow. Don't want to go overboard with too many pics in one day!
So till then, take care.

No comments: