WELCOME!


Welcome to my blog. Thanks for dropping by. Hope you'll stay and enjoy reading about where I've been and what I've been doing!

I don't mean this to be a replacement for personal emails, but it gives me the chance to put up photos and my scrapbook layouts, so I don't block up your in-boxes, or have to send the same photos and stories to everyone separately!
Thanks, and welcome, to the followers of my blog. I'm very honoured that you enjoy it. Drop me some comments from time to time! It's good to hear what you think about the posts. Come back again soon.

Thanks also to Mary of Mary's Mixes for doing all the work on the blog's heading. You are great, Mary!



Sunday 13 April 2008

The wedding

Well, Clare was the most beautiful bride! She is petite, slim and very pretty, and the dress she had chosen was stunning! I'll upload photos just as soon as.... Before we left for the church the photographer took loads of poses and I was at her shoulder to take my pics of the bride, the bridesmaids, the bride AND the bridesmaids, the parents, the bride and the parents, the bride, the bridesmaids and the parents, the brother, the brother and the bride, the brother, the bride and the chief bridesmaid..... Got them all!
As for the church, it was relatively new, a red brick building with a sort of trapezium shaped interior which was beautifully decorated. I was lucky enough to be shown to the front pew, right in the centre and as everyone was flashing their cameras all through the service, I did the same, flash off, from the best of vantage points. The priest was great, reminded me of Pope John Paul but maybe that was only because he was Polish. "Do you come here willingly...." he asked. "We do." the couple replied. "I'm very pleased!" grinned Father J. He made everyone laugh. It was such a relaxed service all the way through. The family candles were lit. The bride and groom lit their own candle from their two families' candles. They made their vows to each other, and when Nathan and Clare were pronounced man and wife, everyone clapped their socks off - including Father J! There were a few tears in the front pew and maybe further behind too. I really don't know when I was at a nicer wedding.
Ian, father of the bride, is the eldest of 5 brothers, two of whom were also at the ceremony: Bruce, whose pictures are in my very first blog, and his partner, Dale, and Colin, who once shared my flat in Edinburgh about 30 years ago, with his wife, Patrea. It was good to catch up with them all again. I have seen Bruce more recently, but it is 9 years since I saw Dale, Colin and Patrea.
The reception was held in a nearby hotel where we had dinner. The speeches afterwards were excellent. Ian spoke first with some stories about Clare, some advice to the groom about what to expect from marriage, and a welcome to Nathan into the family as another son. Then Berny, Clare's mum, spoke with some gentle words about marriage, and we toasted "Clare and Nathan!" Next the best man stood up and told how he had first met Nathan, and then Clare, and how the two of them had taken a shine to each other and started going out together. He thanked the bridesmaids, Clare's younger sister Sally, and friend, Cara, and we toasted the bridesmaids! Next it was Sally who got up to give some anecdotes of their childhood, and of how close they were. It was so lovely, and a bit too much for Sally who shed a few tears and had a few gulps at one point before she could continue her reminiscences. Now Nathan AND Clare stood, each to give their own thankyous to parents and friends. Nathan told us of Clare's reaction when it was suggested that Nathan traditionally give the speech on behalf of himself and his new wife. Clare had said she was perfectly capable of speaking for herself, and she did, very movingly. The wedding cake was cut by bride and groom unfortunately on the other side of the room, so I didn't see that, but we all ate a slice of it - a chocolate layer and a lemon layer!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG... you write so so well. I was almost there with you.
ENJOY ENJOY ENJOY & look forward to those photos...
Mary